Sunday 20 January 2013

Mind Over Morals...Over Money


How do you know the difference between a young child using you for his needs or being innocent in asking for things?

When you give tuition to a young child, once he comes up & asks for Rs 30 for a party at school. From affluent families that we belong, where we believe strongly in helping the needy, especially who work for us, I obliged with the money. Soon thereafter, the student needed money to go on a school picnic. This time, the amount was close to Rs 600. The amount is not my area of concern. It really is Mind over Morals. Paying for the picnic was the least of all I could do for the child, because it was my way of helping the family. Having said that, was it becoming a routine for the child to request?  Does he think that all his wishes were to come true, through me…as if he had found his Genie. After speaking with the mother, I later learnt that she did not give the money in the hands of the child as she wanted to give it to the teacher herself. That’s fair, I thought. Good Values.

A few days later, the child says he wants to watch TV in my house, after his tuition. He wants a Video Game to play with. He wants the same biscuits that I eat (Ragi biscuits, seriously?) He even complains that his mother gave him only Rs 10 for his picnic, because of which he could not eat a desert after lunch. He however, got an ice cream before getting on the bus on his return.

Again, I say, it’s not a matter of money. Is it a quest for MORE?  It’s more about my mind wanting to develop the right morals in the young boy. Me giving him tuition helps him get better marks academically. It helps me become a better educator as well.

How does one say no to a child of 12 years? Your heart wants to give in, your mind thinks about the morals & money is no where in the picture. Is the kind deed being taken for granted? Is the good deed going to cost me? Cost me confusion, over & over, to choose between Mind / Morals… or Money!

No comments:

Post a Comment